Friday, October 25, 2013

Fitness Thoughts and November Challenge!

I worked out alone this morning.  My hubby wanted a break even after I told him I wouldn't complain, whine, or give him the evil eye for working me so hard.  I trekked to the gym alone.  I don't work twice as hard without him there.  Yes, I did get through the workouts but I didn't give myself that extra push that he would.  I need that extra push.

I've zoned in on my obliques.  Up until my mid to late twenties, they were a non-factor.  They never put on fat and I never worked them.  Then all of a sudden they just popped up.  This picture from two years ago tells the tale.  The black check shows some oblique action...I'm not completely contrapposto, I'm mostly straight.  I was starting to get a little belly action too as indicated by the red check.  I remember I was around 152 pounds then.  I am ten pounds heavier now and you wouldn't think it would make so much of a difference...but it does as you can see.  I think 145 is a good weight for me so 17.5 pounds left to go!


I have decided to add more oblique workouts.  Technically I'm not supposed to do crunches or any "crunch-like" movement per my doctor due to a hernia.  I've been doing side crunches anyway.  Bad, I know.  I did a google search to find some good oblique exercises.  This ONE has some gems!  I will double check with the hubby to get his thoughts...he may have a variation that works better.  I've found that whenever I find something I think is great, he has a better version of it.

Okay enough chitchat about obliques. I decided to enter the Black Women Losing Weight November Challenge!  So the deal is for you to give up all bad stuff like soda, sweets, and simple carbs.  Done and done!

Here are the guidelines:
  • No Soda – That includes diet soda. Already done.
  • No Fast Food  Zaxby's...gonna work on it.
  • No Alcohol  Easy enough...I don't drink it.
  • No White Bread – Easy enough...I never ate it.
  • No White Sugar or High Fructose Corn Syrup I've been avoiding this for years (trying to)
  • No Store Bought Juice – I guess Naked Juice is out.
  • Any packaged foods you eat should have less than 12 grams of sugar per serving. I do this already...
  • No Sugary Snacks –  First thing I did three weeks ago.
  • No Pasta I love pasta but it was easy to give up...will continue.
  • You can have artificial sweeteners in moderationDon't use them...I don't even use the natural ones like agave and honey. 
This should be easy.  The challenge is to keep that up through Thanksgiving and even I don't know if I can resist my Mama's red velvet cake and sweet potato pie!  I am partaking in a Naked Juice Smoothie today (Green Machine) as I had a coupon.  Without thinking I had went and asked my boss if he liked Naked juice (he's into fitness and natural eating too) and the look on his face was beyond priceless (***DEAD***).  When I realized my folly it took me a minute or two to stop laughing before explaining I meant the juice.  I had asked him if he liked it to see if he wanted to get a coupon...perhaps I should have thought that through more.  He was like, "I knew what you meant." (wink, wink) So yeah, no Naked juice at work or anywhere else for that matter.  Goes right up there with, "Oh, your husband works you out?"  This question almost immediately follows my casual comment of "I work out with my husband."  Everybody has a dirty mind these days!

Here is a coupon for $1 off on a 15.2 ounce bottle of Naked Juice.  I don't know how long they are going to have the promotion for so get it while it's hot (and naked).  What an unfortunate name.

Back to the challenge.  I will definitely work on giving up Zaxby's, the very last fast food frontier I have to cross.  Those grilled chicken sandwiches are so good.  I don't even get fries or onion rings.  I get celery with a water to drink.  I had their Blue Zalad with Mediterranean dressing and grilled blackened chicken yesterday.  I have to stay away from that place.  I've been good about giving up the sweets otherwise.

Rather than wait until November, I'm starting today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment