Monday, October 28, 2013

Crochet for Halloween

It's about that time of year again.  Halloween.  It isn't something I celebrate usually for a variety of reasons.  It has proven problematic with having four young school-aged children, however.  Now we make sure they get their share of candy  but we do not allow trick-or-treating, at least not in our neck of the woods.  We have done similar types of outings such as trick-or-treating in the dorms at my alma mater (we missed it this year) or having the kids give out candy to children who are doing it in the neighborhood.  They aren't content with doing just that this year.

I've found a list of stores that are participating in trick-or-treating on Halloween.  They will just have to be content with that.  We carved a pumpkin last night, something I hadn't done since I was fifteen.  It was relatively easy.  I only had one of the four bother to help and even she eventually abandoned me in favor of Candy Crush.  She did pick the design and take out a handful or two of the seeds...that was it. 
Here is our (my) creation.  Scary, isn't it?  I adore it because it looks absolutely hilarious from the street, and we are the only house that has one so far.  We may do another one...I'm aiming for a vampire or black cat.  It remains to be seen.

The children wanted costumes (of course they did) for Halloween and I made it abundantly clear I wasn't buying a single one.  So I'm making two of them, my stepdaughter can crochet and make her own (with my guidance) and I don't know what the boy is going to do.  He's going to have to figure out Freddy Krueger all on his own.  So we have a Clawdeen Wolf from Monster High who can't match worth a darn and a vampire.  Their costumes are pretty much the same aside from one wanting to be black and blue (the vampire) and one wanting to be mis-matched.  So I tackled Clawdeen Wolf first.  The ears are easy so I focused on the top which I made in pink and black.  The skirt is in purple.  I told her she could forget about those boots.  Then I made the blue tank top for my little one.  I ran out of black yarn so I couldn't finish until yesterday.  Here they are!

 This is my little vampire (or vampress...who taught her that word!).  She absolutely loves this halter.  I don't think I'll have enough time for her skirt so I may have to settle for a pre-existing one.  She didn't seem to mind. 

 Okay, this doesn't look exactly like Clawdeen Wolf but she didn't care.  She only cared about the colors and the style.  She loves the tank and she loves the skirt.  The skirt is supposed to have ruffles all the way up but she was happy with this (thank goodness). 

The pattern for the top came from the Slice of Sweet Halter pattern on Crochetville!  The skirt is the Tiered Ruffle Skirt from Ravelry!  The girls chose what they wanted...I would have been more original had I started these earlier.  I know for next year.

 I'm teaching my girls how to crochet now.  My vampire has mastered chains and single crochet and is intent on making me a skirt!  Well who am I to discourage ambition!  Have at it baby girl! 

I am having temporary withdrawals from lack of new yarn acquisitions.  Okay I just made that up as an excuse to get more yarn.  I've been partly content.  My gift basket from Lion Brand yarn came through not too long ago from a giveaway I won back in January, and I had fun with that for a couple of months.  The novelty has worn off and I need new yarn to tickle my fancy. 

Christmas is coming up!  Or what I call the biggest yarn stash buster of the year!  I am aiming to make hats and scarves for local hospitals and assisted living homes in the area so I need to get started right about now!  I will hold off on making purchases until I have successfully whittled down my rather large stash of yarn.  Well at least that's the plan...


Updates coming soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment