Thursday, October 17, 2013

Unidentified Yarn Queen and Pretty Shells Crochet Pattern (FREE!)


Last year during a trek to the local flea market, I came across a young Mexican lady selling her wares which happened to be...you guessed it, yarn!  This particular color caught my eye and unfortunately there was only one skein of it.  She didn't have specifics that she could give me about but from what I can tell it appears to be a rayon and natural fiber mix (not cotton though).  I would say it is about a size 3 crochet thread and I'm itching to make something with it.  I am the queen of unidentified yarn.  I have many skeins that I have to play the guessing game, having acquired them from swaps and other sources.  I am still searching for the perfect pattern for this beautiful yarn.  Any ideas?




 This is one of my favorite scarves!  Last year, I sold a similar scarf at a vending event at my alma mater.  I had originally made it to enter in the state fair but for whatever reason I always miss the deadline.  So I decided to make another one.  It is a simple crochet pattern consisting of shells, roughly 7 inches x 6 feet.  It has great texture and the yarn creates a wonderful drape in the fabric.  This is made from one of those many unidentified yarns I have acquired over the years.  I have one more skein of it left.  It takes nearly two skeins to make a scarf this size so it is up in the air what I will do with this final skein.  If I had to take a guess I would say it was similar to homespun, definitely a man-made material, acrylic/polyester mix, fingering weight.  Obviously I put a lot of thought into this.  



Pretty Shells Pattern


Any size yarn (fingering weight used here)
Use hook size that works well with your yarn (3.5 mm)

Ch. 43
Row 1:    2 dc in 4th chain from the hook, sk ch, *sc in next chain, sk ch, 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in next ch* Repeat * to * across to last two ch.  Three dc in last ch. Ch 1 and turn.

Row 2:  sc in first dc, *2dc, ch 2, 2 dc in next sc, sc in ch 2 space*  Repeat to last shell.  sc in top of ch 3 stitch.  Ch 3 and turn.

Row 3:  2 dc in sc from previous row.  *sc in top of ch 2 space, 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in next sc*  Repeat across to last sc of the row.  3 dc in top of ch 3 stitch.  Ch 1 and turn.

Repeat rows 2 and 3 until desired length.  I always end with a row of single crochet across the edge to anchor it into place.

Comment if you have any questions!  There is some variation of this pattern all around the web.  Most of the time I see it with a 5 dc instead of 2dc, ch 2, 2dc but it is the same kind of idea.

2 comments:

  1. What is the Multiple of this shell pattern? I'd love to make it into a prayer shawl, and need to make it 20" X 60".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even thought about that! I did several variations of it and what seems to work for this pattern is a multiple of five plus three. I hope this helps!

      Delete