Sunday, November 24, 2013

And That's the Way It Goes...

So yesterday I get an email...an unexpected email.  Several months ago I was informed that a short story I had written was accepted for publication in an anthology about the Midlands of South Carolina called A Sense of the Midlands.  I was thrilled!  Then the email.  The email that informed me that the story cannot be published because the publisher does not have the rights to reference Cocky or Williams Brice Stadium.  For those who don't know, Cocky is the mascot of the University of South Carolina Gamecocks and Williams Brice Stadium is where the Gamecocks play.  I won't lie if I said that this didn't take the wind out of my sails a bit but now that I have had a day to reflect, I am still happy actually.  I mean, I'm not happy about not being published, but I am happy that I was selected in the first place.  It means I have at least some smidgen of talent, doesn't it?

Well must carry on.  I am working on my novel...I guess I have to be careful about what I reference.  That's not something that has ever occurred to me, that certain icons cannot be referenced.  It probably wouldn't matter if the story is freely distributed but for "for-profit" initiatives I suppose I can understand the desire to protect ones copyright (and if not, get a piece of the "pie").  I am now aware of this and will construct future stories accordingly.  My story A Meeting on the River will probably never get published because I have no intentions of changing it, and that's fine with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment